Sunday, December 9, 2007

Tart and Creamy?

My traditional dessert every year for thanksgiving is pumpkin pie, made from pumpkin that I cut up, roast and puree myself. Due to being in a really small apartment, getting married and lots of travel this year, I did not get around to purchasing and roasting a pumpkin...........guess I will have to wait until next year to share that recipe and process!! Our friends hosting thanksgiving this year took on the task of the pumpkin pie this year, so I used this as a great opportunity to try something new and different. I was paging through my Real Simple magazine and came across a recipe for Cranberry Cream Pie. Huh? I had never heard of such a thing, but it sounded good, so I thought I would give it a try!

It was ok........it was an interesting combination of flavors. I got mixed reviews........some loved it, others were not that impressed. I do not think I will make it again, but I am glad I tried something different.


Cranberry Cream Pie
(Source: Real Simple)

1 cup fresh orange juice
1 cup sugar
5 ounces shortbread cookies
1/2 cup (2 1/2 ounces) roasted almonds
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1 8-ounce package frozen cranberries, thawed
1 1/4-ounce packet unflavored gelatin
2 cups heavy cream

Warm the orange juice and sugar in a small pot over low heat until the sugar dissolves. Transfer to a large bowl and refrigerate until just cool, about 30 minutes.
Pulse the cookies and almonds in a food processor until finely ground. Add the butter and pulse to combine. Press the cookie mixture evenly into the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan.


Clean the food processor, then add the cranberries and 1/4 cup of the cooled juice and puree.

Sprinkle the gelatin over the remaining juice and let stand for 1 minute. Stir until the gelatin dissolves. Add the pureed cranberries and stir to combine.



Beat the cream in a medium bowl using a whisk or electric mixer until soft peaks form. Fold the whipped cream into the cranberry mixture until well combined. Pour the cranberry cream into the crust. Place on a rimmed baking sheet and refrigerate until set, at least 4 hours



Beat the cream in a medium bowl using a whisk or electric mixer until soft peaks form. Fold the whipped cream into the cranberry mixture until well combined. Pour the cranberry cream into the crust. Place on a rimmed baking sheet and refrigerate until set, at least 4 hours.
Makes 8 servings

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home