Sunday, February 10, 2008

I love me some Olive Garden

I love a lot of food at Olive Garden, especially the bread sticks and house salad. But, one of my favorite things at Olive Garden is the Pasta e Fagioli. So, when I came across the copycat recipe for this, I knew I wanted to make it. I did make some changes, since I wanted to use certain food we has around the house, but it still came out really good. I would like to try it another time, and make it exactly as the recipe calls for, so I can compare the taste to Olive Garden. But, for now, this hit the spot!!


Olive Garden's Pasta E Fagioli
(source: www.bigoven.com)

1 pound ground beef (I used ground pork, because that is what I had on hand)
1 small onion, diced (1 cup)

1 large carrot, julienned (1 cup) (I only omitted these because I did not have any)
3 stalks celery, chopped (1 cup) (same as carrots)

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 14.5-ounce cans diced tomatoes

1 15-ounce can red kidney beans (with liquid)

1 15-ounce can great northern beans (with liquid)
1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
1 12-ounce can V-8 juice (used an extra can of tomato sauce, because I did not have any tomato juice)

1 tablespoon white vinegar

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1 teaspoon oregano

1 teaspoon basil

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 pound (1/2 pkg.) ditali pasta (I used alphabet pasta, because that is what I had in the pantry)



Brown the ground beef in a large saucepan or pot over medium heat.
Drain off most of the fat.

Add onion and garlic and sauté for 10 minutes.


Add remaining ingredients, except pasta, and simmer for 1 hour.


About 50 minutes into simmer time, cook the pasta in 1 1/2 to 2
quarts of boiling water over high heat. Cook for 10 minutes or justuntil pasta is al dente, or slightly tough. Drain. (I just threw the pasta in my pot, and cooked it in with the soup. I would not recommend this, and will not do it again. My final dish came out quite starchy, and I think it is because I did not cook the pasta separate, and drain it before I put it in the pot.)

Add the pasta to the large pot of soup. Simmer for 5-10 minutes
and serve.
Serves 8.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home